Weight Watcher Smart Points: 0
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
- 1 large onion- sliced into thin rings
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp corriander (grinded)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz tomato sauce (canned or homemade)
- 2 tsp of salt and pepper
- 1-2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cup brown lentils
- 2 cup rice (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- 2 cups boiled elbow macaroni
- 15 oz canned chickpeas (warmed up)
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- Sprinkle salt on onion rings and toss in flour.
- Shake off excess flour and stir fry on medium high heat.
- Stir fry until onion rings turn caramelized brown and crispy.
- Crisp up few mint leaves in hot oil after taking onion rings out.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add grated onion.
- Cook on medium heat until onions turn into a translucent golden colour.
- Add garlic, grinded corriander and spices and sauté for 30-45 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce and pinch of salt. Bring to simmer and cook until thickens.
- Add white vinegar and turn the heat low. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a separate skillet, bring the lentils and 4 cups water to a boil on high heat.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to low and cook until lentils are just tender.
- Drain water and season with salt.
- Drain rice from soaking water and add into par-cooked lentils.
- Cook rice and par-cooked lentils on medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp cooking oil, salt, pepper and corriander leaves.
- Stir regularly and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of warm water to rice and lentils and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook until all of the water has been evaporated and absorbed.
- Keep covered for another 5 minutes so that the lentils and rice are well cooked.
- Once cooked, transfer lentils and rice to a serving dish.
- Top with boiled pasta, 1/2 cup tomato sauce and warmed up chickpeas.
- Garnish with 1/2 of crispy onion rings and mint leaves.
- Serve with cooked sauce and crispy onion rings/mint leaves on the side.